Cross Bulk Mailer 6.3 - newsletter & email marketing & social & contacts & Amazon SES & DNN 8
posted by DnnModule.com - 2/12/2016
DnnModule.com Active Since 7/16/2007
(3 total reviews for DnnModule.com in the last six months.)
Ask a Question
Cross Bulk Mailer 6.3 - DNN 8 newsletter & email marketing & social & contacts module, Amazon SES support
1. Background download 30 days free trial edition
View User Manual View other modules of us
Email Marketing is very popular and important today. It can help you to improve both relationship building and communication for your business to prosper. As we know, DNN provides a simple newsletter module to allow site administrators to send bulk mails (by click DNN built-in menu “Admin – Newsletters”). This module works when you have small number of recipients (e.g. 100 - 200 email addresses). However, when you try to send over 500 emails using this module, it doesn’t work as expected due to the following reasons:
1. This module will try to send bulk emails together by using host defined SMTP server. However, nearly 100% email server have quota limitation. For example, Google Gmail account allows you sending up to 500 mails per day, 100 mails per hour; Yahoo mail allows up to 200 mails per day and100 mails per hour; MS hotmail allows 100 per day and 50 per hour; Our mail server provider (mail.DnnModule.com) allows us sending 500 mails per day and 60 mails per hour.
This means most of your emails are abandoned by mail server. For example, when we click “Admin – Newsletters” module to send mails to over 20,000 registered users of http://DnnModule.com for the first time, nearly 99% mails are abandoned by our mail server. And our hosting vendor warned us not do that action again, otherwise our mail accounts will be closed.
Please note, the abandon is controlled by the mail server, DNN does not aware of that. And DNN just think emails were sent successfully.
2. Email sending is a resource consumes action. It will consume many CPU and memory resources while sending bulk emails together. Because most websites are hosted by 3rd web servers and don’t have too much CPU and memory quota, your site may be recycled or even shutdown while sending huge emails.
3. As mentioned above, “Admin – Newsletters” module uses host defined SMTP server to send mails. This is a big problem if you have multiple portals which belong to different companies on same DNN instance. Even these portals have their own mail server, they still have to rely on same SMTP server to send mails. This will make host defined SMTP server overload quickly. We strongly recommend super user to remove “Admin -Newsletters” page/module for all portals in this case.
In one word, DNN built-in “Admin - Newsletter” is not an ideal module to processing email. You need a more powerful module to handle your email marketing, Cross Bulk Mailer is one of the best choices for you.
Cross Bulk Mailer is an enterprise-level email processing module for DotNetNuke. By fully utilizing DNN schedule job features, it can help you to send over 10,000,000 emails easily than ever. It contains 2 sub modules (CrossMail_Admin and CrossMail_Opt-In) and provides many cool features to help you to process email marketing as easy as ABC, as follows:
1. Multiple portals support. Super use can enable / disable email sending for each portal, and control other options like maximum mails per day / per hour, sending interval and whether they can use host defined SMTP server.
2. Multiple SMTP servers support. Site administrators can create multiple SMTP servers for their portals, and specify properties like server priority / maximum mails per day (per hour), etc.
3. Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) support. With Amazon SES, you can send huge emails (e.g. 5,000,000) per day in Cross Bulk Mailer module.
4. Advanced technical to send bulk mails (SMTP server pool, multiple threads and asynchronous). It uses DNN schedule jobs to perform all background actions (send bulk mails / synchronize recipients from roles / check bounce mail addresses, etc.). All you need to do is to provide valid SMTP servers, create newsletters which need to send, Cross Bulk Mailer module will handle other jobs. It will send only certain amount of emails per time, but keep on sending every n minutes, so it will delivery all your emails at last, but will not break your SMTP servers limitation.
5. Advanced technical to track email read / open status, works on nearly 100% email client applications. You can track whether / when email is opened / read by recipients, and adjust your email marketing plan.
6. Group newsletters and recipients with categories. Each category has its own recipients and suppression addresses. It can be bound to certain user roles and automatic retrieve recipients from them. The recipients can also be imported from MS Excel documents and csv files (or export as Excel file to download). And it doesn’t require you to install MS Excel on the web server.
7. Allow site administrator to create extra attributes for the recipient, e.g. create an extra “Occupation” attribute for the recipient, and specify its value as “Teacher” for a recipient. These custom extra attributes can also be shown in CrossMail_Opt-In sub module.
8. A newsletter can have multiple attachments. The newsletter content can be generated from external url / RSS feed / site page / site module, or copy from an email template / an existing newsletter. It also supports token replacement to personalize email content.
9. Hyperlink tracking. You can create specific hyperlinks (e.g. http://DnnModule.com) and insert them into newsletters, module will track who (and when) click them while read emails. This is a great way to verify the effect of your email marketing.
10. Automatic send birthday greeting emails to related recipients.
11. Common features like Opt-In/Opt-Out, subscribe/unsubscribe/welcome notification and view mail online are also available.
12. Bounce mail address (invalid mail addresses) automatic detection.
13. Template based for CrossAdmin_Opt-In sub module, you can create your own mail Opt-In/Opt-Out display interface.
Visit http://DnnModule.com/FreeDownload.aspx to download 30 days trial edition and test on your site. The trial edition has all features like official version and can be installed on official domain names.
For live demo, please visit http://dnnmodule.com/, enter your email address to subscribe our newsletter (you can unsubscribe at any time). Also visit DoooX (http://www.dooox.de) - the world's leading dental community with over 185.000 members. This site uses Cross Bulk Mailer module to send newsletter to its 185.000 registered members every month.
Note: v6.3 requires DNN 8.0+ to run. If your sites are still under DNN 6.x/7.x, please check http://DnnModule.com/store.aspx for other old versions.
3. Module Highlights
3.1 Multiple portals support, Maximum mails per day (per hour), Send interval, Using host SMTP server
P1 - Portal Rules
If you have multiple portals in same DNN instance, this feature is vital to you. Super user (host account) can specify below options for each portal.
:Send bulk mails / Send birthday greeting mails. If disabled, this site can't using Cross Bulk Mailer module to send emails (birthday greeting mails).
:Maximum mails per day (per hour). How many mails this portal can send per day / per hour.
:Send Interval. Email send interval for this site. For example, if you enter 10 minutes as "Send Interval" and allow to send 60 mails per hour, then module will send 6 times per hour (10 mails each time), this will alleviate the web server pressure greatly.
:Whether this portal can use host defined SMTP server.
For example, if you have 3 portals on same DNN instance. You can allow "Portal A" to send 500 mails per day, "Portal B" send 300 mails per day, and disable mail sending function for "Portal C".
P2 - Portal rule detail
3.2 Multiple SMTP servers, Maximum mails per day (per hour), Priority
P3 - SMTP servers
SMTP (Simple Message Transfer Protocol) servers are used to send emails. Site administrators can create multiple SMTP servers to send their mails, and specify "maximum mails per day (per hour)", "priority" for each server.
In most cases, you can get a SMTP server (mail server) from your hosting provider. Besides that, there are many free email provides on Internet. For example, you can register a Google Gmail account to get a SMTP server which can send 500 mails per day (100 mails per hour), register a Yahoo account to get 200 mails per day (100 mails per hour)..etc.
So as you can see, it is easy to send over 50,000 bulk mails per month with these free SMTP servers in Cross Bulk Mailer module. And Cross Bulk Mailer will not break SMTP server limitations at any time.
Note, you are limited by both super user and SMTP servers capacity. For example, you can create 10 SMTP servers which can send 3000 mails per day totally, but if super user only allows your site to send 300 mails per day, then Cross Bulk Mailer module will only send 300 mails for your site per day. However, if super user allows 800 mails for your site, but your SMTP servers can only handle 400 mails, then Cross Bulk Mailer module will take 400 mails per day.
P4 - SMTP server detail
3.3 Amazon SES support to allow you to send huge emails (e.g. 500,000) per day
Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) is a highly scalable and cost-effective bulk and transactional email-sending service for businesses. The great advantage of Amazon SES is that it allows you to send huge emails per day (e.g. 500,000) in theory, while most email providers only allows hundreds of emails per day. For more information, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/ses/
It is easy to use Amazon SES in Cross Bulk Mailer module. If you have huge emails to send (e.g. you need to send 100,000 emails per day), we recommend you to sign up an Amazon SES account and configure it in Cross Bulk Mailer module.
P5 - Amazon SES
P6 - Amazon SES server detail
3.4 Advanced technical to send bulk mails effectively
Email sending is a resource consumes action. It consumes many CPU and memory resources, especially when you need to send huge number of emails. In v6.0, we redesign the email processing mechanism, to use many advanced technical, like SMTP server pool, multiple threads, asynchronous sending, etc. Now it consumes less resources than before, but send emails more effectively.
It uses DNN schedule jobs to perform all background actions (send bulk mails / synchronize recipients from roles / check bounce mail addresses, etc.). All you need to do is to provide valid SMTP servers, create newsletters which need to send, Cross Bulk Mailer module will handle other jobs. It will send only certain amount of emails per time, but keep on sending every n minutes, so it will delivery all your emails at last, but will not break your SMTP servers limitation.
3.5 Categories, Import recipients from user roles / excel file / input, Export, Suppression addresses
P7 - Category Detail
Categories allow you to group the newsletters (and recipients) easily. Each category has its own recipients and suppression addresses. It can be bound to certain user roles and automatic retrieve recipients from them.
For example, if you check on "Registered Users" role for a category, then Cross Bulk Mailer module will check new registered users every day, add them into "Recipients" of current category. In v5.3, we improve the recipients import feature so it can handle huge registered users (e.g. a DNN site which has 1,000,000 registered users).
For live demo, please visit DoooX (http://www.dooox.de) - the world's leading dental community with over 180.000 members. This site uses Cross Bulk Mailer module to send newsletter to its 185.000 registered members every month.
The recipients can also be imported from MS Excel documents (or export as Excel file ). Please note, it doesn't require MS Excel application installed on web server.
P8 - Import email address from MS Excel document.
Use CrossMail_Opt-In sub module to let visitors subscribe (or unsubscribe) these categories is another way to collect recipients.
Suppression addresses are emails which will be ignored while sending. You can manually add mail address to a category. When user click "unsubscribe" link in mail body (or unsubscribe via CrossMail_Opt-In sub module), module will add his email address into suppression list.
3.6 Create extra attributes (data field) for the recipient
Module already has many built-in attributes (data fields) for the recipient, like Country/Region/City/Postal code/Telephone/IM/Sex.., etc. If these built-in attributes are not enough, you can create extra attributes here. For example, you can create a new "Occupation" data field for the recipient.
After create an attribute, you can then enter specific attribute value for an individual recipient (e.g. "Doctor", "Teacher", "Soldier"). When you use CrossMail_Opt-In sub module to gather subscribers, you can also require subscribers to enter these attributes too.
P9 - Custom extra attributes
P10 - Custom attributes in CrossMail_Opt-In sub module
Below is a list of data types which you can specify for an attribute:
A. Basic data like string / int / decimal / date time / date / time / boolean / currency.
B. Special data like email / image / url / text html.
You can specify a list of values for the attribute, subscribe can choose one of them via drop down list / radio button list and even check box list display (multiple choice allowed).
3.7 Newsletters, Attachments, Token replacement, Generate content from RSS feed/ url / site page / site module, or copy from email template / existing newsletter
P12 - Newsletter Detail
You can create unlimited newsletters to sent. Module allows you to add multiple files with a newsletter, but you need to take care of their size. You can enter newsletter content using DNN html editor, or generate content from external url / RSS feed / site page / site module / email template / existing newsletter first, then modify it.
V5.3 introduces a new "Email Template" feature, you can save a newsletter as email template, then reuse it next time.
You can also specify newsletter start date and expire date. Module will send newsletter between these days.
Newsletter subject and content can contain tokens. A token is a set of formatted text that will be replaced in the email messages. For example, you can add "unsubscribe" token in mail to let user to unsubscribe, add "viewonline" token to let user to view mail online, add "Recipient:UserName" token in mail to let module to replace it as recipient's user name.
P13 - Generate content from site module
3.8 Newsletter sent history, Mail read/open tracking, Hyperlink tracking
P14 - Newsletter sent history
After create a newsletter, module will automatic send it using DNN schedule jobs. It will automatic detect duplicate address and only send 1 mail per address per newsletter.
Click the "sent history" icon you will see the mail sent process, and track whether mail is opened/read by the recipient. It is vital to verify your email marketing effect. In v6.0, we redesign the email read / open tracking mechanism so it works under nearly 100% email client applications.
P15 - Hyperlink tracking.
You can create specific hyperlinks (e.g. http://DnnModule.com) and insert these hyperlinks into newsletters, module will track who (and when) click them while reading emails.
This is a great way to verify the effect of your email marketing.
3.9 Bounce (invalid, fake) addresses detection
P16 - Bounce mail addresses
It is not strange to see fake (or invalid) addresses like [email protected], [email protected], etc. When send mail to these addresses (for example, try send a mail to [email protected]),
your SMTP server will generate a "Bounce Reply" message to your "send from" address during each attempt. Note, the number of attempts and the format of the bounce reply is controlled by your SMTP server, not Cross Bulk Mailer module.
It is important to find out these invalid addresses because you don't want to keep on sending mails to them. To do this, Cross Bulk Mailer module will try monitor your "send from" email account, read its inbox, abstract these invalid addresses, and ignore them next time.
This is a vital feature for a email processing module. All SMTP servers hate bounce emails because they consume too much resources, so it is better to detect and bypass them as soon as possible. Check above image as example (this is the real bounce mail address in our site - http://DnnModule.com), you can see that we have about 500 registered users who use fake email address while register, and it is important to bypass these address while sending bulk emails.
3.10 Birthday greeting emails
P17 - Birthday greeting mails
Module can automatic send birthday greeting emails to related recipients if you provide their birthday. This is a useful way to improve relationship building.
Of course, the token replacement is also available in birthday greeting subject and content.
3.11 Subscribe, Unsubscribe, View mail online, Opt-in, Opt-out, Email confirm, Welcome email
P18 - CorssMail_Opt-In sub module
As we mentioned above, you can add "view online" token in newsletter body to allow user to view mail online, add "unsubscribe" token to let user unsubscribe.
Besides that, Cross Bulk Mailer also contains a sub module - CrossMail_Opt-In to let user to subscribe / unsubscribe on your site. It also supports email confirm for subscribe / unsubscribe actions, and also support welcome email.
3.12 Template based for CrossMail_Opt-in sub module
CorssMail_Opt-In sub module is template based, you can create your own subscribe / unsubscribe interface.
P19 - CrossMail_Opt-In demo
3.13 Fully utilizing DNN schedule jobs, Reliable and safely
Email marketing is a serious business. Cross Bulk Mailer try to take care of everything (portal rules / SMTP server capacity / send interval, etc) and calculate exactly, to make sure your bulk mails are sent reliable and safely.
3.14 Self explanatory, Help is everywhere, Powerful yet easy to use
Cross Bulk Mailer offers more interesting features than we can mentioned here. Instead of write a long and complicated help document to explain every detail of them, we choose to integrate these information directly into module interface. And try our best to make every feature self explanatory.
For long help information, we use DNN expandable section (or a separate tab page) to display them. For example:
P16 - Expandable help section
P17 - Separate tab help page
For short yet important help information, we use DNN standard help text to display on edit interface. For example:
P18 - Display help information on edit interface.
And we provide detail information for every field using DNN help label. Whenever you feel confused, just click the help icon of that label, you will see similar information like below:
P19 - DNN help label.
4. Sub Modules
There are 2 sub-modules in Cross Bulk Mailer package:
P20 - Sub modules
1. CrossMail_Admin sub module
Provides all manage functions of Cross Bulk Mailer, you only need 1 instance per portal.
P21 - CrossMail_Admin sub module
2. CrossMail_Opt-In sub module
Allows visitor to subscribe (or unsubscribe) from your site, you can put multiple instances on a site.
P22 - CrossMail_Opt-In sub module
5. Try before you buy
We strongly recommend you to try this module first before you buy. You can download 30 days trial version and user guide document at http://DnnModule.com/FreeDownload.aspx. Note, please read “Cross Bulk Mailer 6.3 user guide.pdf” before test it.
DNN version: DNN 8.0+
Database: Ms Sql Server 2008/2012, Ms Sql Server Express 2008/2012
7. Help and support
Read the user guide.doc in the package to see how to use this module.
Click the online help link in DNN label to learn field meaning.
Using the DNN store help tickets system to submit your question.
Visit our support forum for more specific problem solution.
Mail us at [email protected] or add our Skype account ([email protected]) if you need more direct assistance.
8. Version Difference
||Enterprise + Source
||1 site, unlimited sub portals
:1 DNN site installation with unlimited sub portals.
:Unlimited DNN sites installation.
Enterprise + Source
:PA include, source code include.
:Unlimited DNN sites installation.